Community resources are an essential part of assisting individuals and families affected by mental illness.
Wake County Human Services administers the Medicaid program, an assistance program that helps pay medical bills for some people who have low income and cannot afford health care. For more information on how to apply for Medicaid assistance, please contact Wake County Health and Human Services at 919-212-7000.
Alliance Behavioral Healthcare – Alliance is the Managed Care Organization (MCO) for Wake, Durham, Johnston and Cumberland county. If you have questions related to Medicaid services, please contact the MCO of the county you live in for more information.
Cardinal Innovations – Cardinal Innovations is the Managed Care Organization (MCO) for several counties, including Franklin, Granville, Halifax, Vance and Warren counties. If you have questions related to Medicaid services, please contact the MCO of the county you live in for more information.
NC HealthChoice is is a free or reduced price comprehensive health care program for children. The goal of the NCHC Program is to reduce the number of uninsured children in the NC to ensure that the population served will be healthy and ready to learn and work. If your family makes too much money to qualify for Medicaid but too little to afford rising health insurance premiums, your child may qualify for NC Healthchoice.
Wake County Human Services is the consolidation of programs and services including social services, public health, mental health, job training, child support, housing and transportation. Contact them at 919-212-7000 with any questions regarding county programs.
Affiliated Medical Programs
The following medical programs provide health care for the uninsured of Wake County.
- Alliance Medical Ministry – (919) 250-3320
- Urban Ministries of Wake County – (919) 836-1642
- Wake Health Services – (919) 255-6721
National and Local Hotlines
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline – 1-800-273-TALK (8255) https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org provides free and confidential emotional support to people in suicidal crisis or emotional distress
- National Hopeline Network – 1-800-784-2433 to be connected to a trained counselor at a suicide crisis center near you.
- Spanish speaking suicide hotline: 1-800-SUICIDA (1-800-784-2432)
- Crisis Text Line – Text HOME to 741741 https://www.crisistextline.org
- Post-partum depression hotline: 1-800-PPD-MOMS (1-800-773-6667 )
- National Sexual Assault Hotline – 1-800-656-HOPE (4673) https://www.rainn.org
- National Domestic Violence Hotline – 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) https://www.thehotline.org
- National Eating Disorders Association Information and Referral Helpline – 1-800-931-2237 https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org
- Trevor Project for LGBTQ youth – 1-866-488-7386 https://www.thetrevorproject.org
- Graduate student hotline – 1-800-GRADHLP (1-800-472-3457) http://gradresources.org